Years back I discovered RTL-SDR, that used very cheap USB TV tuners to run Software Defined Radio applications.
Back then I found it super easy to setup,
You just download ‘SDR#’ and run the installer, then you’re good to go!
More recently though, AirSpy selling their own SDR products, I recall having more difficulty setting it all up..
So let’s give it a shot here today.
Heading over to the AirSpy downloads page
Extracting this zip gives a familiar folder structure, with an install-rtlsdr.bat file, perhaps it hasn’t changed much after all? Not sure why I seemed to have so much problems last time…
I fired up Zadig as admin after it had downloaded and selected Options > List All Devices so that I could find my RTL device.
The first thing ill do is pop into the options gear up the top there and change the device to RTL-SDR (USB). Then back into options and ensure the correct device is selected and the RG Gain is turned up a little.
It all seems to be working fine. I did a frequency correction of 3ppm and got it centered on a carrier wave.
Im now able to use this to identify which frequencies are in use around 500mhz so that I can fix up some wireless microphones that are complaining about interference!
It was much easier than last time. Not sure why I had so much trouble….