So this post is going to be basis for a number of updates, essentially I picked up a TBS Discovery Pro quadcopter off ebay for $200 in pretty crummy condition, and im in the process of restoring it to its former glory.
This post is where I will be posting my progress on this, as well as to reddit but eh, this is my turf.
So just for backlog:
Here’s the eBay item page:
Here’s two threads on me trying to identify damaged / broken off components:
Can I just take a moment to vouch for how incredible isopropyl is at cleaning these boards? just look at the photos and see for yourself.
Here’s the auction win screenshot:
Finally, here is the album of the photos of my initial disassembly / the damage.
The hardest thing for me is going to be replacing the I2C port on the Pixhawk…
I really don’t know if I can do it, and im worried I’ll mess it up even more..
If you’re great at tiny soldering please hit me up if you can help!
The SD card, I WAS able to pull flight logs and data from it, but I won’t post it here because it probably reveals the location of the previous owner’s home..
From the electronics I have tested, it appears to work, and the telemetry is a 433Mhz 3DR system. (I confirmed later by removing the heat shrink.
The gimbal motors need replacing, and the main motors need new bearings, the I2c port needs replacing, and the receiver needs its antenna to be fixed or replaced. The top board MIGHT not work, I cant test until the gimbal is repaired. but that would be around $220 to replace im told.
Once these are done, I am confident it will fly once more! (oh and two props are fecked)
Ill also need a new telemetry module, as having one isn’t very helpful 😉
The USB port on the Pixhawk was pretty crusty and unreliable, but ordered this and connected it up and we’re back in business!
As I mentioned at the start, Ill update here when I have more to post!